- Summer Fun at the DoubleTree by Hilton Golf Resort San DiegoPosted 5 days ago
- Sport Clips of 4S Ranch Village Gives BackPosted 9 days ago
- Peñasquitos Emergency Response Council (PERC) 2013 Class SchedulePosted 10 days ago
- The Grauer School Presents “A Night on Broadway”Posted 10 days ago
- Northrop Grumman Receives Community Partner of the Year AwardPosted 11 days ago
- NBC 7’S Whitney Southwick to Emcee Taste of Our Towne IIPosted 11 days ago
- Peñasquitos Emergency Response Council (PERC) Presents 2013 Class SchedulePosted 11 days ago
- Local Teen Band Half Moon Portrait to Perform At Flippin’ PizzaPosted 13 days ago
- Rancho Peñasquitos Professional Pet Sitter to Teach Pet CPR, First Aid & CarePosted 13 days ago
- Mt. Carmel High School Football FundraiserPosted 13 days ago
Steve and Christiane Staninger are Dedicated Volunteers for Their Community
Posted on July 27, 2012
Steve and Christiane Staninger met while Steve was a high school senior and Christiane an exchange student from Germany. The two instantly connected, later married, and today are parents of two sons: Jackson (age 17) and Noah (age 15).
The couple moved their family to Rancho Peñasquitos in 1998 and was immediately inspired by the amount of volunteers in the community. “Generally, we were impressed with the many parents who volunteered in the community when we moved up here,” said the Staningers. “Everyone was doing something. It didn’t take long for Steve and Christiane to join the ranks of their neighbors and become enthusiastic volunteers.
Since 2008, Christiane has been a part of Ride Across California (RAC), an annual event put on by the Rancho Family YMCA. “When I first heard about it [RAC], I thought they were all crazy!” joked Christiane. “Now I think it’s the greatest adventure ever. Who rides his/her bike across the desert? You meet some really nice 5th graders and their parents. And it’s great exercise, even for non-athletes like me.”
She also participated in this year’s Bike to Work Day and is eager to continue her work with the organization.
Her other accomplishments include: heading up “Camp Crazy,” a weeklong summer camp for neighborhood kids at her house, teaching an after-school German language class to kids, and raising two service dogs through the Loving Paws organization (those dogs are now their pets, Shasta and Lucca).
Steve, who Christiane calls “very organized” and “detail oriented,” is also no stranger to volunteering. He spent 10 years as part of the Poway Unified PTA – four of which he served as President. From 2008-2011, he was team parent for the Rancho Peñasquitos Little League. Today, Steve volunteers for the Mt. Carmel High School Drama Booster Club and is a member of the Paws’itive Team Service Dogs Group, located in Rancho Bernardo.
Apart from their volunteer work the couple loves to spend time with their family. “We speak German at home!” said Christiane. Steve is a frequent tennis and basketball player and sings for his church choir. Christiane enjoys biking and is training with her son, Jackson, for her first half marathon.
When asked what their biggest accomplishment in volunteering has been, Christiane and Steve simply replied: “We have been very blessed with our lives and it makes us feel good to help out!”