- Poway Center for the Performing Arts Foundation Arts in Education Initiative Introduction to Instruments 2013Posted 2 hours ago
- Upcoming Events from PQYSA Recreational SoccerPosted 1 day ago
- Summer Fun at the DoubleTree by Hilton Golf Resort San DiegoPosted 7 days ago
- Sport Clips of 4S Ranch Village Gives BackPosted 11 days ago
- Peñasquitos Emergency Response Council (PERC) 2013 Class SchedulePosted 12 days ago
- The Grauer School Presents “A Night on Broadway”Posted 12 days ago
- Northrop Grumman Receives Community Partner of the Year AwardPosted 12 days ago
- NBC 7’S Whitney Southwick to Emcee Taste of Our Towne IIPosted 12 days ago
- Peñasquitos Emergency Response Council (PERC) Presents 2013 Class SchedulePosted 12 days ago
- Hustle & Bustle A Day in the Life of County Supervisor Dave RobertsPosted 14 days ago
More Than 1,300 Southern California Youth to Play Baseball for Chelsea King
Posted on May 8, 2012
On May 20, Chelsea’s Light Foundation will team up with AAU Baseball, San Diego Show Baseball, Southern California Little Leagues and Pony Baseball to orchestrate one of the sport’s largest, charity-focused youth baseball tournaments. Over 100 teams from San Diego and as far away as Los Angeles and Riverside will participate in “Homerun for Chelsea” to honor Chelsea King and benefit Chelsea’s Light.
From 8am until 6pm, an estimated 1,300 student athletes ranging in age from 5 to 14 years will gather at 10 separate locations, on 38 fields with about 65 volunteer umpires.
This event demonstrates unprecedented collaboration between dozens of Little Leagues, PONY Leagues, Travel Ball Clubs and Umpire groups who will join together in solidarity to support Chelsea’s Light Foundation’s mission to protect children. What started in 2010 as a grass-roots outpouring of support for Chelsea has grown into a unique, charitable event that celebrates a common love for baseball and a shared commitment to creating positive change in the community. “Our community is of course passionate about the sport of baseball, but it’s also part of our culture to care about serving others. Each of these teams is choosing to honor the way Chelsea lived her life and do something that can have a meaningful impact.” said Bill Reh, volunteer Chairman of the Home Run for Chelsea Tournament.
Brent and Kelly King, Chelsea’s parents, will attend the Home Run for Chelsea baseball tournament. “The game of baseball is near and dear to our family, for many reasons. We hope these players will keep score in a different way and measure their success by the pure joy that comes from being part of team and also a part of something even bigger than themselves,” said Brent King.
The Home Run for Chelsea baseball tournament is sponsored by So Cal AAU Baseball, AAU Baseball, San Diego Padres, Wilson Sporting Goods, DeMarini, and Velocity Sports and presented by San Diego Show Baseball with support from individuals from Southern California Little Leagues & PONY Leagues. Home Run for Chelsea Baseball Tournament will take place in these locations:
4S Ranch Community Park, hosted by 4S Ranch Little League
Cliffridge Park, hosted by La Jolla PONY
Del Norte High School, hosted by Show Baseball/Friends of Chelsea King
Desmond Jene Park, hosted by Escondido American Little League
Kit Carson Park, hosted by Escondido Youth PONY
Park Dale Lane Elementary School, hosted by Encinitas National Little League
Poway High School, hosted by PHS Baseball Boosters/friends of Chelsea King
Rancho Bernardo Community Park, hosted by Rancho Bernardo Little League
Well Field Park, hosted by Ramona PONY
Westview High School, hosted by California Lookouts Baseball/Westview HS Baseball