- Plan for Safety: Enjoying Hiking and Biking TrailsPosted 9 days ago
- Rolling Hills Park Gears up for Annual Picnic Fun and an Exciting Renovation Project!Posted 9 days ago
- Local Foundations Award Nearly $100,000Posted 10 days ago
- Northrop Grumman Receives Community Partner of the Year AwardPosted 10 days ago
- Posted 11 days ago
- Miss Poway Scholarship Pageant 2013 ResultsPosted 11 days ago
- 2Good2B Bakery & Café Lets Customers Eat Well and Still Stay Allergy-FreePosted 11 days ago
- Think Outside The TankPosted 12 days ago
- Wine Tasting and Silent Auction Will Benefit Gregg’s GoalsPosted 12 days ago
- Reinventing the Plain White TEEPosted 13 days ago
Reinforcing Behavior through Life Lessons/Character Counts!
Posted on January 28, 2012
Build strong bodies…inside and out. That’s what 17-year Poway Unified School District teacher, 3rd Degree Black Belt and Nationally Certified karate instructor Nay Flinn sets out to do every day. In addition to daily activities in the classroom at Canyon View Elementary, Flinn and her colleagues at Family Karate (familykaratepq.com) run Life Lessons/Character Counts! – a program in its 8th year that travels to Poway Unified schools promoting great character and strong bodies through good choices and karate techniques. Flinn uses her captivating and energetic style to present the pillars of good character which guide students toward making better every-day choices. The program encourages students to be active and healthy by teaching basic confidence-building karate techniques. The four-lesson course is held at hosting schools and concludes with a graduation event at Family Karate, where students are awarded a white belt for completing the program.
Not only does the Life Lessons/Character Counts! program reinforce positive social behavior and good physical health for the children of our community, it raises money for the local schools at the same time. Life Lessons/Character Counts! has grown into a popular event at Canyon View and numerous other Poway Unified schools with Flinn and her team donating all registration proceeds to the hosting schools. To date, the program has raised over $27,000 for Canyon View and nearly $75,000 for all of the participating PUSD schools. At Canyon View, the program has funded the school running track, purchased classroom and PE equipment and supported music and reading programs.
Feedback from parents has been uniformly positive, with many students repeating the course year after year:
- “A genius piece of program for kids”
- “It has given my daughter so much self esteem. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!”
- “Wonderful program! Instilled a can-do and positive attitude at home, at play, and school. Thank you!”
- “This program has initiated some great discussions at the dinner table about integrity, trustworthiness, respect etc. Thank you for all you are doing with the kids.”
As part of the program, children are shown the impact of making good choices through entertaining skits prepared by Flinn and her team. They are offered solid examples of positive choices to make in everyday situations and are encouraged to be “strong on the inside”, while exercise and fun karate techniques help kids become healthy and “strong on the outside”. Students are taught to recognize the everyday heroes around them and are encouraged to become an everyday hero themselves to strengthen their family and community.
For more information or to bring Life Lessons/Character Counts! to your school, contact Family Karate 858-484-4747 or Mrs. Nay Flinn at firstname.lastname@example.org.