- Summer Fun at the DoubleTree by Hilton Golf Resort San DiegoPosted 5 days ago
- Sport Clips of 4S Ranch Village Gives BackPosted 9 days ago
- Peñasquitos Emergency Response Council (PERC) 2013 Class SchedulePosted 10 days ago
- The Grauer School Presents “A Night on Broadway”Posted 10 days ago
- Northrop Grumman Receives Community Partner of the Year AwardPosted 10 days ago
- NBC 7’S Whitney Southwick to Emcee Taste of Our Towne IIPosted 10 days ago
- Peñasquitos Emergency Response Council (PERC) Presents 2013 Class SchedulePosted 10 days ago
- Local Teen Band Half Moon Portrait to Perform At Flippin’ PizzaPosted 13 days ago
- Rancho Peñasquitos Professional Pet Sitter to Teach Pet CPR, First Aid & CarePosted 13 days ago
- Mt. Carmel High School Football FundraiserPosted 13 days ago
Claudia Tedford helped make the 92131 Rancho Family YMCA a reality
Posted on January 26, 2012
She has called Scripps Ranch home for nearly 20 years, and has never stopped loving this area. “It’s a great family-oriented community and the residents care deeply about protecting the quality of life we enjoy,” explained Claudia Tedford, a mother of two and an integral person in helping to bring the YMCA to the current 92131 site located at 10481 Scripps Poway Parkway.
While serving on the Miramar Ranch North Planning Committee, or MRNPC, a need for a family-oriented recreational facility in the area arose. “The YMCA is a great organization and I wanted to support it and also take part in expanding its facilities and services,” Tedford commented. “The YMCA focuses on three key areas because nurturing the potential of kids, helping people live healthier, and supporting our neighbors are fundamental to building community. I think all those things are needed in today’s world.”
Tedford is the co-owner of a planning consulting firm specializing in urban and environmental planning, land use, healthy community planning, and community outreach. Between her professional and volunteer work, she also is an avid hiker and traveler. In November, she participated in the Susan G. Komen 3-day Race for the Cure, walking 60 miles to raise funds and awareness for breast cancer.
Aside from her 14 years with the MRNPC, Tedford was a Girl Scout Leader for eight years and was a member of the Hidden Valley House Auxiliary. She also has been a member of the Board of Management of the Rancho Family YMCA since 2003, has served as Board Chair, and is currently the Chair of the Capital Development Committee.
Since the YMCA doesn’t turn anyone away, they will be launching their annual Partner with Youth Campaign in January to help raise funds for those who need financial assistance. “It also helps with programs offered such as providing aides for kids with disabilities so they can take part in the same programs as the rest of the kids,” Tedford added.
The Rancho Family YMCA can be reached at 858-484-8788 or by visiting www.rancho.ymca.org.
Name: Claudia Tedford
Residence: Scripps Ranch
Family: 2 adult children, Monica is currently teaching English in South Korea & Nick is a college student
Affiliations: Rancho Family YMCA; Miramar Ranch, North Planning Committee (1992–2006); Scripps Ranch Girl Scouts (8 years as a leader); Hidden Valley House Auxiliary
Occupation: Co-owner, CityPlace Planning