- Summer Fun at the DoubleTree by Hilton Golf Resort San DiegoPosted 5 days ago
- Sport Clips of 4S Ranch Village Gives BackPosted 8 days ago
- Peñasquitos Emergency Response Council (PERC) 2013 Class SchedulePosted 9 days ago
- The Grauer School Presents “A Night on Broadway”Posted 9 days ago
- Northrop Grumman Receives Community Partner of the Year AwardPosted 10 days ago
- NBC 7’S Whitney Southwick to Emcee Taste of Our Towne IIPosted 10 days ago
- Peñasquitos Emergency Response Council (PERC) Presents 2013 Class SchedulePosted 10 days ago
- Local Teen Band Half Moon Portrait to Perform At Flippin’ PizzaPosted 13 days ago
- Rancho Peñasquitos Professional Pet Sitter to Teach Pet CPR, First Aid & CarePosted 13 days ago
- Mt. Carmel High School Football FundraiserPosted 13 days ago
For the Fillats, Being Involved is a Family Affair
Posted on November 22, 2011
Most couples feel like they have known each other forever. In the case of Rancho Penasquitos residents Mike and Christine Fillat, they practically have. The two met in the first grade, began dating fifteen years later and the rest is history.
San Diego natives, the Fillat family knew they found their place in the PQ area. “We moved to PQ because we had always heard great things about the community. We loved the location and the fact that it was in the Poway School District,” Christine noted about the couple’s move to the area 11 years ago. “PQ is just a great family community.”
Simply living in the 92129 zip code isn’t enough for the Fillat’s, however. Both Mike and Christine are deeply involved in the inner workings of the community. In fact, Mike was named Volunteer of the Year by the PQ Town Council in 2009, and their enthusiasm has been inherited by their children as well. Mike and Christine have three together; Kyle, age 14, a freshman at Westview High, Trevor, 10, and Kendall, 7, both enrolled at Sundance Elementary School.
Along with serving on the Foundation Board at Sundance Elementary School for seven years, he is also on the Little League Board, and has coached softball, soccer and basketball for his children as well.
A graduate of San Diego State University and a teacher by trade, Christine has taken the last 14 years to raise the couples’ children and still has the time to volunteer in the classroom, library and PTA Board. She is also the co-leader for young Kendall’s Brownie Troop.
With the level of involvement and dedication the Fillat family has shown the Rancho Penasquitos community since 2000, one can only assume that the two unmentioned members of the family, Harley and Papi, the family’s dog and cat, are helping to make a difference as well.
Know a family that should be profiled in 92129 Magazine?
Recommend a family online at www.92129magazine.com.
Name: Mike and Christine Fillat
Neighborhood: Rancho Penasquitos, since 2000
Hometown of each parent: San Diego
Occupation: Chiropractor and Stay at home Mom
Kids: Kyle (14), Trevor (10), Kendall (7)