- Summer Fun at the DoubleTree by Hilton Golf Resort San DiegoPosted 5 days ago
- Sport Clips of 4S Ranch Village Gives BackPosted 9 days ago
- Peñasquitos Emergency Response Council (PERC) 2013 Class SchedulePosted 10 days ago
- The Grauer School Presents “A Night on Broadway”Posted 10 days ago
- Northrop Grumman Receives Community Partner of the Year AwardPosted 10 days ago
- NBC 7’S Whitney Southwick to Emcee Taste of Our Towne IIPosted 10 days ago
- Peñasquitos Emergency Response Council (PERC) Presents 2013 Class SchedulePosted 10 days ago
- Local Teen Band Half Moon Portrait to Perform At Flippin’ PizzaPosted 13 days ago
- Rancho Peñasquitos Professional Pet Sitter to Teach Pet CPR, First Aid & CarePosted 13 days ago
- Mt. Carmel High School Football FundraiserPosted 13 days ago
Mar Family Manages Busy Personal Lifestyle, Jobs, and Business Ownership
Posted on September 29, 2011
She’s a local restaurant owner, a mother, and a former corporate executive. He’s been in the defense and aerospace industries since 1981. They’re both very busy, and they call Rancho Penasquitos home.
Ron Mar – who has a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering – originally worked with General Dynamics in Kearny Mesa, and currently works at Northrop Grumman in Rancho Bernardo. In 1983, he moved from Sacramento to set his roots in PQ; soon after, he met Nikki.
“We were introduced by a mutual friend,” Nikki Mar said. Thanks to that friend’s matchmaking capabilities, they are now married and have a blessing of their own, a 5-year-old daughter, Natasha, who began 1st Grade at Cambridge School in Rancho Penasquitos this year.”
Whether Nikki is escorting her daughter to one of her many activities, or managing her restaurants, she is a very busy lady. Nikki moved from Bangkok to San Diego about 13 years ago and – after a successful career in Thailand working for Goldman Sachs and GE Capital – opted to become her own boss, opening two successful restaurants. “I own and run two Thai restaurants: Takhrai Thai at 12265 Scripps Poway Parkway in Poway and Lai Thai Restaurant at 1430 E. Plaza Blvd #E10 in National City,” Nikki said.
But Nikki, who has bachelor’s degree and an MBA in finance, must juggle the schedule of both an entrepreneur and a parent. Like many parents, she shuttles her daughter among many activities. “Natasha loves playing the piano, singing, ballet, gymnastics and swimming,” said Nikki, noting the younger’s special passion for music. “Sometimes Natasha and her dad will make up their own funny lyrics to songs after piano practice is over. And we recently saw the ‘Mary Poppins’ musical at the Civic Center. Natasha has been singing and dancing to the songs daily.”
The Mar family enjoys getting away, but the busy schedule makes long vacations difficult. “But we were fortunate to have Natasha’s first real vacation by spending two weeks in Thailand,” Nikki said. “In Thailand, she was able to ride ponies and elephants, see crocodiles, feed monkeys, take a boat trip in the floating market, and ride the sky train.”
Parents: Nikki and Ron Mar
Residence: Rancho Penasquitos
PQ Resident: 2001
Children: Natasha (5)
Pets: Spot and Dot (fish)